Mering's Palace is one of the most beautiful palaces in Vinnytsia region
The magnificent palace in Stara Pryluky is often called the younger brother of the Mariinsky Palace in Kyiv.
The last owner of Stara Pryluky and the palace was Serhii Mehring, the son of the famous professor and medical doctor Friedrich Mehring. (Friedrich taught lectures at St Volodymyr's University in Kyiv, studied typhus epidemiology, and took an active part in the fight against the typhus epidemic in Kyiv. The family owned land and a number of houses in Kyiv. The present-day Bankova Street was also in his possession. The doctor's son, Serhii, was the Minister of Trade and Industry of the Ukrainian People's Republic).
Interestingly, in the last years before the revolution, the palace was leased by Serhiy Mering to Kazimierz Blyzhovskyi.
Translated with DeepL.com (free version)
The Staroprilutsk Palace became the property of Serhiy Mering in 1905.
He wanted to create an exquisite architecture, so the palace was rebuilt according to the design of Karl Mayevsky. After the devastating fire of 1819, the Mariinsky Palace was reconstructed in 1868-1870 under the leadership of the academician of architecture Karl Mayevsky. And Serhii wanted it to look like this palace
The first mention of the palace dates back to 1780, when a representative of the Borzęcki family, Aleksander Maciej, built a palace here. However, it was rebuilt during the time of Czesław Zdziechowski the eldest. His son spent everything that his father had acquired and collected. After his father's death, he sold off collections of porcelain, weapons, statues, paintings of old schools by German and Spanish artists, including Diego Velázquez, and Polish artists, such as works by Józef Siemmler and Artur Grotger. There were 450 paintings in total! There is an assumption that some of the paintings ended up in the collections of the Tereshchenko family. And some of the masterpieces can now be seen in the National Museums of Warsaw and Wroclaw. It is said that the paintings put up for sale by the walker son Zdziechowski were valued at 100,000 silver karbovanets. There is a legend that the younger Zdziechowski did not sell the Staropryluky Palace itself to Serhiy Mering, but lost it at cards. Thus, the last reconstruction of the palace, which has acquired a look reminiscent of the Mariinsky Palace in Kyiv, took place during the reign of Meringa, who lived in Kyiv not far from this architectural gem
While the exterior of the palace's architecture is Neo-Baroque, the visitor is immediately struck by the Moorish-style hall on the ground floor, which is an interesting combination of Berber and Spanish styles from North Africa and Al-Andalusia.
Of course, this style is simplified in the Ukrainian palace, and it is remotely reminiscent of the Alhambra, but it is nevertheless impressive with carved eastern arches, geometric mouldings on the ceiling, and tiles with floral patterns. The wrought-iron railings of the staircase to the second floor are beautiful. Also on the ground floor is a library with a magnificent oak (?) ceiling.
The state of the palace is shocking! It is in critical condition. Both inside and outside, the striking contrast between the former grandeur and the current terrible state is striking.
It's hard to believe, but the palace was once surrounded by a manicured ancient park, which was created in the late eighteenth century. Among the various rare trees and bushes stood magnificent statues. Only blue tall fir trees and a fountain have survived. Part of the former park is occupied by a sports ground.
The palace was renovated in the 1950s. As already mentioned, Sergei Mehring left for Vienna with his family. It is believed that he took some of his valuables with him, and some were hidden. So, in 1956, during the renovation, hidden paintings and jewellery were found, and among the finds was a pearl of treasure, a portrait of Serhiy Mering's father, doctor and professor Fedir Mering, which belonged to the brush of the famous artist Nikolai Ge.
A boarding school has been operating there since 1958. Which still exists there today. To be more precise, the educational building itself is already in a state of disrepair, so only some classrooms and a library are functioning in the former palace. It is a pity to see how one of the beautiful palaces of Vinnytsia region, an architectural monument of national importance, is slowly dying.
Church of the Transfiguration of the Lord
The Church of the Transfiguration of the Lord was built to replace the old church of 1819. The new church was built of brick according to the design of German engineer Richard Kraus at the expense of the owner of Stara Pryluky, Serhii Mering, and donations from the village residents.
During the Second World War, when the Vinnytsia region was occupied by the Germans, they used the church as a warehouse. After the war, oddly enough, the church became functional. But within 15 years the church was closed. In the 80s of the twentieth century, a hall of ceremonies was arranged here. An interesting addition to the history of the building was made by Svitlana Svetlanova in her commentary on Facebook. She noted that the Soviet government began repairing the building after a storm blew down the dome and rains began to destroy the church's vaults. Then the head of the village council, Andrii Maidaniuk, initiated the restoration of the church. But in those days, it was not possible to restore a religious building. Therefore, funds were allocated for the repair of the house of ceremonies. The money was given under the condition that the roof should not resemble a church roof. But the head of the village violated the condition and the church was restored with a dome! :)